Corporate History

The History
Cycle & Carriage has an illustrious history in the region that spans more than a century, and throughout these years, we have become one of the region’s largest automotive retailer.

Cycle & Carriage Bintang Berhad History     Cycle & Carriage Bintang Berhad History

1895

The Chua brothers opened Federal Stores in the capital of the First Federation of Malay States. The sold all manner of things, starting from haberdashery and moving on to bicycles, sewing machines and later carriages. They also traded in nutmeg and sundries. It was still the age of the horse & carriages for the rich and gharries for the poor, the bullock cart and rickshaw.
1899 On 15th June 1899, the Chua brothers established Cycle & Carriage and acquired motor vehicle agencies.
1906 A branch was opened in Brewster Road, Ipoh.
1914 Another landmark branch in Bishop Street, Penang was opened.
1916 Business expanded to Orchard Road, Singapore.
1926 The Cycle & Carriage Company Limited (“C&C”) was incorporated as a public company with its headquarters at Orchard Road, Singapore.
1930's During the Great Depression, C&C’s operations focused solely in Singapore.
1951 C&C re-opened its Malaysian operations and was awarded the much sought after Mercedes-Benz franchise. Its also one of the first Mercedes-Benz businesses in Asia. The Malaysian dealership operated from its location in Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.
1965 The assembly plant in Singapore produced its first Mercedes-Benz.
1967 Cycle & Carriage Bintang Berhad (“CCB”) was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of C&C.
1969 C&C was listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
1974 CCB took over the Mercedes-Benz franchise from C&C.
1977 CCB was listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange.
1981 CCB invested 45% interest in Diesel Product & Support, a joint-venture company with Bumiputra interest and MTU Singapore to distribute MTU engines and spare parts in Malaysia.
1982 CCB invested 40% interest in Maroda to form a new Mercedes-Benz dealership in Terengganu.
1983

Ipoh Motors was acquired by CCB and became a wholly owned subsidiary. Ipoh Motors was incorporated in 1947 by tin-mine merchants and town bus operators. The acquisition gave CCB immediate access to an established motor retailing business in Perak.

CCB acquired 100% interest in Hercules Automotive Engineers to facilitate the manufacturing and assembly of trailers and commercial vehicle body structures.

1984

CCB opened a new service centre for passenger and commercial vehicles in Batu Caves, Selangor to cater to the increased after-sales demands.

1987

CCB scaled down the business of Hercules Automotive Engineers during the Malaysian economic recession.

1989

CCB was awarded the Mazda franchise.

1991

CCB acquired 64% interest in Asia Automobile Industries to facilitate the assembly of Mercedes-Benz passenger cars which complement CCB’s commercial vehicle assembly activities.

CCB acquired 100% interest in Srisari to facilitate the acquisition of Wisma Bintang and the adjacent service centre.

1992

New corporate identity with the ‘Wheels of Progress’ logo was launched, signifying a century of excellence and continuous growth in its businesses.

Hercules Automotive Engineers started the business of fitment of vehicle accessories.

CCL Group Properties was formed to hold the Group Property interests in Singapore and Malaysia. CCB acquired 20% stake.

1993

Jardine Motors acquired 12% stake of CCB.

Asia Automobile Industries took over the assembly of Mercedes-Benz and Mazda commercial vehicles from CCB.

1994

Asia Automobile Industries started assembly of Mercedes-Benz S-Class and C-Class passenger cars.

CCB acquired 30% stake of Cycle & Carriage (Malaysia) from C&C.

CCB disposed of its 40% interest in the loss making Maroda.

1995

CCB diluted its interest in MTU Services (Malaysia) (formerly known as Diesel Product & Support) from 45% to 20% to allow increased Bumiputra participation in this company.

Srisari which was formerly dormant started assembly of Mercedes-Benz passenger car engines.

CCB was awarded the Kia franchise.

1996

Asia Automobile Industries started assembly of Kia commercial vehicles.

1997

CCB disposed of the remaining 20% interest in MTU Services (Malaysia).

1998

CCB’s stake in CCL Group Properties rose to 40%.

1999

CCB relinquished the Kia franchise.

Asia Automobile Industries became a wholly owned subsidiary of CCB after CCB’s acquisition of the remaining 34% interests. The company achieved ISO 9002 certification for Mercedes-Benz passenger cars trim and final assembly process.

2001

CCB invested in a Mercedes-Benz showroom at Jalan U-Thant near the Kuala Lumpur City Centre area.

Asia Automobile Industries and Srisari achieved the MS ISO 9002:1994 certificate for the assembly of Mercedes-Benz passenger cars, engines and commercial vehicles.

Cycle & Carriage Automobiles was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of CCB.

2002

Cycle & Carriage Automobiles was awarded the Peugeot franchise.

Asia Automobile Industries and Srisari achieved the MS ISO 9001:2000 certificate.

Jardine Matheson Group obtained a controlling shareholding in C&C.

2003

C&C renamed as Jardine Cycle & Carriage ("JC&C").

CCB ceased to be the exclusive Mercedes-Benz distributor in Malaysia, and acquired 49% of Mercedes-Benz Malaysia (the distributor for Mercedes-Benz in Malaysia, custodian of brand, products and services of Daimler AG, Germany). CCB became the main dealer of Mercedes-Benz.

2004

Malaysia’s first Mercedes-Benz Autohaus is opened in Ipoh.

CCB acquired the remaining 70% interest in Cycle & Carriage (Malaysia) from JC&C.

JC&C's acquisition of Jardine Motors stake in CCB, increases its shareholding to 59%.

2005

Asia Automobile Industries and Srisari terminated the Mercedes-Benz assembly contracts with Mercedes-Benz Malaysia.

40% owned CCL Group Properties commenced members’ voluntary liquidation after disposal of its Menara Weld and Wisma Cyclecarri.

The largest Mercedes-Benz Autohaus in Malaysia started its operations in busy Federal Highway, Petaling Jaya. It has also become the headquarters for CCB's Mercedes-Benz businesses.

2006

Mutiara Damansara Mercedes-Benz Autohaus was opened in March.

Johor Bahru dealership was upgraded into a Mercedes-Benz Autohaus in June.

CCB's Petaling Jaya Mercedes-Benz Autohaus garnered the prestigious FIABCI Malaysia Property Award in the Industrial Development category for its state-of-the-art showroom.

Cycle & Carriage (Malaysia) terminated its Proton, Kia and Hyundai dealerships to focus on retailing of Mazda vehicles.

CCB incorporated Cycle & Carriage Parts and Accessories to take over the parts wholesale business from Cycle & Carriage (Malaysia).

CCB was awarded the Sinotruk franchise and incorporated Cycle & Carriage Motors for the purpose.

2007

CCB implemented the new Mercedes-Benz Autoline IT system.

Asia Automobile Industries recommenced assembly for Sinotruk.

Cycle & Carriage Automobiles relinquished the Peugeot franchise.

2008

CCB dispose of Hercules Automotive Engineers which subsequently hold the Mazda franchise.

CCB dispose of Asia Automobile Industries, Cycle & Carriage Motors and Cycle & Carriage Parts and Accessories which hold the Sinotruk franchise and parts business via a management buy-out by its ex-Managing Director.

With the disposal of non-core businesses, CCB is now focused on its Mercedes-Benz core businesses.

2011

CCB acquired 100% interest in Lowe Motor, in enhancing its market share in the Mercedes-Benz business in Malaysia.

2012

CCL Group Properties had ceased to be an associate of the company following the completion of members voluntary liquidation in July.

2013

Glenmarie Mercedes-Benz Autohaus was opened in August.

2015

Ipoh Motors Sdn Bhd and Lowe Motors Sdn Bhd has changed its name to Cycle & Carriage Bintang (Perak) Sdn Bhd and Cycle & Carriage Bintang (Northern) Sdn Bhd respectively.

2017

Cheras Mercedes-Benz Autohaus was opened in March.